a little about what happened

                    *photo I asked my daughter to take of me, as she washed my hair~ shortly after I got sick in March of 2017

This is my first blog, so forgive me if I am a little all over the place. I am still not the best at typing, as my right side (including my dominant hand), continue to experience intense nerve damage from my first MS episode in March of 2017.

I was 47yrs old. My two children were 12 and 17 years old at the time.

My intention with this blog is to share my experiences with Multiple Sclerosis (I had to respell sclerosis three times, as sometimes spelling simple words eludes me now). I hope to debunk some misconceptions about this auto-immune disease, as well as to selfishly understand more about how having MS has and continues to change and shape my world.

This photo is as good as any to begin this journey. What it doesn't show, is that I was crying while Bella took the photo. Not because I was scared or feeling sorry for myself, but rather because I was overwhelmed with the love and patience my 17yr old daughter had, and continues to have for me. I couldn't wash my own hair, dress myself, or take care of my children. I had gone from being a part time working mom, having my kids five days per week, part time post-bacc student planning on entering a masters in counseling program, part time home school teacher for my 12yr old son who was born with special needs, and new girlfriend to an amazing man I worked with and had only recently started dating and living with (more on this later)... to a nearly immobile, partially nerve damaged, visual and cognitively impaired person ~ seemingly overnight.

I spent the first many months moving from our bed to our couch. I had to use the walls and furniture to guide my movements. I didn't go outside. I didn't even think to. We were at the ER numerous times that first month. I had five MRI's. I had a spinal tap. I had eye exams. Because of my (ahem) advanced age, the neurologists first suspected I'd had a stroke. Only, they couldn't figure out why things continued to worsen. They finally figured I had one of three things: MS, an optic neuro disease I can't remember the name of, and a type of brain tumor that had an 18-44mo. life expectancy. Can you imagine? Everything felt quiet. It was impossible to wrap my head around if the diagnosis were number three. How could I leave my children?

Saying we were beyond happy when we learned it was only MS shows you how little we knew about it. My new neurologist said that if my sensation in my right side didn't return within 18mo, it most likely never would. It has been 17mo now and it seems this is my new body.

Ouch.

Loss is most definitely a big part of my journey, but surprisingly, so is gain.

Before getting MS, I remember how often I would lightly say, "I really need to Slow Down!" Only, I know myself well, and I wasn't willing to slow down. I didn't understand self-care. I couldn't even understand why people, grown adults(!), would take naps. There is so much that can be done instead! I'd think.

But it seems something snapped. I wasn't eating or sleeping enough, almost running from task to task, taking care of my children, exercising, always trying to be the best student, keep our home clean and cozy, loving my new guy...and then out of nowhere, I got my wish. I got to finally slow down, completely and utterly. MS, as impossible as it is to believe, granted me my wish.

I think that's enough for my first entry, I need to eat.

xoM


     




Popular posts from this blog

Growing into Consciousness

Henry's Fever - a found journal entry from January 25th, 2015

rethinking the 'look good'